Saturday, April 20, 2019

Bring up Baba by Birsa- 3

Summer holidays have started. These are the time- I enjoy because it gives more time to interact with Birsa. As both myself and Amrita work and there will be 6 weeks when we have these small problem-- of leaving Birsa alone at home. Till last year- we will put him to summer camps. The straight talker that Birsa is-- he complained 2 years in row-- " these classes are not teaching me anything that i donot know". This year he was very clear and adamant- he doesnot want to join the summer camps and waste money. But he is like any 10 year old and we were worried how he can manage alone till one of us return home everyday. Thankfully my mother in law decided to spend 2 weeks with us and that was a great relief.Add to it due to general elections- we had this week- which had 4 days holiday in row.
Birsa does not mince word about the feedback he gives. innocent words but pointed. Though he is very diplomatic with all others but with me he shoots directly. I take those feedback as gift and opportunity to learn & improve.This year also i bought lot of worksheets and experimented with different kind of activities. But I do get excited and my sense of discipline sometimes makes me scold him. He gave a pointed feedback few days back- "I know when you scold you want me to avoid wrong, but you can always point out the wrong and allow me to correct rather than shouting". I was like--- .... OMG......So I asked --" was that a feedback?"-- he told yes... it was a point to improve and gave me that studied look.
Talking about feedback--
During her stay with us my mother-in-law had this practice of making sherbet ( a Varanasi version of lemonade)- twice a day. I also got it 2-3 times and felt that it was easy to make. Yesterday- when summer activities were bit boring and my emails/calls all over- I thought to give it a try. I become a full fledged chemistry student inside kitchen-- and that is why I am barred to carry out much activities by Amrita. However - it was just lemonade.. so I got my chance. I did accurate measures of sugar, lemon was properly de-seeded, and put in equal measures.Right mix of cold and hot water was done and then ice cubes were given. Finally the end result was tasted-- i found it to good to go.
After i served it to both-- Amrita's feedback as usual is -- Good ( condescending teacher that she is!!! never gives feedback which hurts in any way). Birsa's feedback was very interesting. umm.. baba- it is good , rather very good, but still not as good as Dimaiya's  (my mother in law) one. Seeing my puzzled look he assured- I will still give you 8 out of 10. You missed tiny bit of salt and forgot to put love as much as Dimaiya does.

A very valuable lesson and feedback for me. In pursuit of excellence- whether it is solving customer problem or helping a maker/start up realize the product- do i not get into all business and forget that love part?
So - love more, judge less, work harder and make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment