Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Songs in my mind and heart

I always had this recurring dream--- there is this large auditorium filled with hundreds of people and I am strumming my guitar and singing song ( written by self). I confined this dream to dustbin quite early in my childhood. During the mandatory music class in school- my teacher used to plead with me-- not to sing. I was that bad. Legend has that I once sang 'ye matire..' in front of school inspectors and they fell sick.
Out of tune, deep bass voice with no melody- that is what even my biggest supporter my ma says. But I always felt I sing beautifully with lots of love.
 I still think- where Mendel's Gene theory went wrong? maybe skipped 1 generation.Because both my parents sing very well. Amrita sings well- she was trained too. So Birsa has some chances - i Guess.

Not to be let down- I pushed myself to speak publicly and never leave an opportunity to speak. I love elocution, debates, turn-coat, extempore speeches and poetic recitations. I only wish I had more opportunities. Ok, this topic- more in separate entry- perhaps!!

Coming back to my interest in songs. I always loved songs, singing never happened, and subsequently I discovered I am equally horrible in dancing. It took Amrita 11 years of patience and more than 12 hours to coach me to dance with her publicly (Thanks to Chotu's wedding!!)- and I guess - I made so many mistakes of steps that she also has given up by now. sigh!!!
But I have never ever given up on singing.

The tunes come to me -- I love western classics, hollywood classics, old hindi songs ( romantic), bhajans, spiritual light music. Sometimes the tune will be embedded in my dreams or suddenly it will haunt me and the moment I get up or get opportunity- I need to hear that song. Youtube is a boon for people like me. Often I will remember 1 or 2 major words or lines- and can search to that song. Sometimes I will pester her with tunes that is roaming freely in my mind and try to sing it out. She says it is impossible, but she has her successes in deciphering too.Sometimes....
Then there are songs which remind me of people, incidents etc. Some songs are special and some are like anthems to me.
Beatles- Imagine, sun is fading away have the power to stop me..
Tu Chaiye, Suhana safar, chukar mere man ko, and so many more- act like taking a time machine.
then- Bailamos--- reminds me of success.
Now that there are apps-- it has become so convenient for me ( 300 + top liked songs, after lots of thoughts/ removing/adding). More so-- my new car can stream using Bluetooth, usb and from online too. That is one feature- which has made my commute and travelling around in Bangalore in traffic so much more bearable. I have now made lists and can quickly jump to them- travel songs (while in airports, flights, trains, buses- long distance), commute time songs, morning prayer songs, etc... When the songs are very nice and I want to share- youtube allows me to share. The feeling is so nice when that shared song plays again and again.

That's it- I have decided that when I am no more- and if they ever hold a memory meeting- noone will be remorseful or sad that day. no, not allowed. They can listen to the songs that i love and smile and feel happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment