Saturday, June 20, 2009

On Father's Day 2009

Just read reports on american News paper- about how b. Obama exorted american Fathers to be better fathers. It brought a smile to my face. We in India never need to celebrate fathers. they are taken for granted. Like i had always taken my 'baba' to be. My father-Dr. Sabuj Sengupta. Tall,handsome , witty, full of life, erudite, scholar, a great doctor, a great husband and a leader. So- after reading the piece- I just wondered- am i not lucky to have my father to be My father? He never let me know what hard times are? though i knew there were hard times, there were back breaking struggle that he took on with a smile on his face. He egged me on- without ever hitting me once ( ohh except once- --- he forbade me to put water over my head to protect me from catching cold in Puri- but i did-- as i always loved to do- always opposite to what he would have ideally liked me to do :-)

Today when i have become a father- I feel so much responsible. Will it be possible for me to be a better father than my father? looks a hard act to follow up!!
Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment