Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Stories from street side

I often get into detailed conversations with taxi drivers.. maybe because i take deep interest in all people around me. Yesterday when I was returning from mumbai palace to hiranandani- my ola driver was unique. His name was devid and he had 5 star rating. I noticed it and complimented him. He has been driving trucks and now ambulances in morning time and evening ola. typical story of a hardworking man. He started sharing about his family. Father a truck driver. how he entered the business. How his love marriage happened with girl who is mba. How he saved money and bought a flat ( slum development board). all honky dory story- the somewhere down the creek the story came out to be a family- where the younger brother is alcoholic, and wife being in combative mood when he returns. I asked him- if he wants to change his lot. does he desire to get maximum out of his life.He fell into my consultancy trap and said yes. 
I told him when he returns home at night- he has to ask his wife-- sincerely- how was her day? and find out 1 thing that she has done very nicely and praise like anything. Same way to his brother- find out what he did good and then tell him why he is the best brother and why he does not deserve to have alcohol.He realized he has never done this- and i helped him realize-- that we expect the world to have empathy on us and show extra dose of love but we fail to show empathy to others and also never love enough. The garrulous guy went silent. But when i got to my destination- i could feel the guy had taken my advice and he will be executing the plan.
then the miracle happened. ... Devid called me today evening after nearly 18 hours after he has done the normal business transaction. gave me a sincere thank you. he told me how he in years altogether saw what his wife does for him and appreciated her. after 3 years-- yesterday night was one night when she was not sounding irritated with him. she was surprised. He told' magic ho gaya' .
The second incident was about the driver who took me safely from Navi Mumbai to Pune and in record time 3 hours despite heavy traffic. He was telling me how 2 young ladies refused to pay Rs230 as toll just because someone told them it should be part of taxi- outstation ola bill. He was asking me- why the same ladies could spend more than 750 rs in macdonalds were so hell bent on not giving rs230. I had no answer for him-- why we practice so little of empathy.

would it not be a better place for us - for you , for me- if each of us strive to become little bit more pleasant. Is it necessary to be shrewd and cunning to win the game? specially when the game is game of life?

Did you practice empathy today?


No comments:

Post a Comment