Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A comment from field & the after effect

After many days- [ well after 8 days to be exact] I went to LRDE , one of my major customer. As usual I went in rounds visiting various groups of RADAR divisions.I have been working with this guys for past 4 years- have a great relationship with all or most of them. Has done lots of business with them and am regarded as a sales consultant in anything related to FPGA. When I was in RAD L - i met Deval. He is the delight for me as always. He never minces his words when criticizing as well as gives his objections in well articulated form.After I presented him with a new methodology for testing chip he started talking. This momnets are very precisous to me- customers giving me feedback- i learn so much from them. He gave me rude jolt and that was what i kept ruminating over till now. He told- that I am a misfit for sales- as i am straightforward. He also added that he likes me specially for this but he wonders- how i survive in the competitive field of sharks.I somehow was flumoxed- it was a comment which has always made me think- somewhere deep in my heart i knew this is true but always avoided seeing it or pointing it to self. Today when he brought it up- i was kind of dazed-- thinking- oh God is it so obvious???
So many incidents came rushing back- situations where I could have won - if I was bit more evasive, less straightforward. Maybe my thinking needs to be tweaked a bit. But can personal ethos be changed like we make change in algorithms? I doubt....I think I try to be honest and upright in my work and in my interactions. Is that the thing which will cause my downfall someday? This feeling of selfdoubt... disgusting..

1 comment:

  1. Sambit, you can't change yourself towards the negative region. The way out of your difficulties would not be by becoming evasive. But by having a comprehensive picture of what others are doing and conveying to your client in the most comprehensive manner what you and others are offering. Make sure that you are offering the best and convey that most decisively. If your product and service situation does not allow this, or you have no influence in changing that situation, leave the job. Go some place where you can express your need to give the best to your client. Study the evolving needs of the customer like a mother attending to the growth of her son. Your contribution to the client will transcend minor difficulties. You cannot but succeed.

    ReplyDelete